Monday 5 March 2007

back to high

After a low, came the high. I licked the abyss and its heavy stench remained ever on my tongue. There was no coffee-vending machine down there and the light bulb had lost its purpose a long time ago. In the beginning it was an endless fall, as it seemed. A free fall into the oblivion. It grew chillier as I plummeted into the void. I looked above and saw the light disappear. I heard whispers in the darkness. The echoes of the familiar voices giggling and laughing at me. They brought forth a chill I can barely explain. She spat at me and laughed like a maniac, while he pushed a venmous dagger into my spine. In the blindness, I continued to precipitate and continued to wonder where and when was it going to end, if at all it was going to end. "After you hit the bottom, there's no other way but upwards," said Maria. Ah, the bottom, thought I. I waited for the bottom. Desperately. For once, I forgot about the top. The bottom was where I wanted to be - to go back to the top, to that higher place. Though dark and ominous it seemed, the bottom was more like a promise I had been waiting for. I was going to swim through the darkness back to the place where I belong - at the Top. After, what felt like a lifetime, I touched the bottom. It was bright and sunny. Beautiful golden beaches where I drank beer up to my gills, pickled my insides with a range of fine wines and squids and pork chops in the evenings. It was then that I realised that the sun had replaced the ligh bulb and beer-shacks had displaced the coffee-vending machines. I knew I'd be on my way up any time and I was going to miss the bottom, the abyss of my life. It was a singular experience, but the memory still remains. The dagger and the laughter still remains.

3 comments:

Chrisann said...

what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right

krashwin said...

what makes you stronger, can kill you too!

Chrisann said...

lol
never heard tht