Thursday 1 March 2012

Rescued a baby sparrow today

I could hear the heart beats of the dad-sparrow, as it peeped through the grills while I was inspecting the baby-sparrow struggling on the floor. I knew what was going on in the dad-sparrow's mind, but my 'I-know-the-difference-between-a-chicken-and-a-sparrow' look assured the dad-sparrow that I was not a mindless carnivorous.
With one look one could guess that this featherless bird had not come flying miles to land on the staircase of my apartment. It had simply fallen down from it's cozy nest, which it's parents had built inside a telephone cable box, 9 feet above. It was a lucky day for the baby-sparrow. I picked it up carefully with the help of two pieces of paper, taking care that I don't hurt it, and gently placed it in it's cozy nest. I knew I had done the right thing, and I truly hope the baby-sparrow survives to take wings soon. I looked at the Dad sparrow who gave me a gentlemanly nod of acknowledgement and took off. Lucky baby-sparrow. Happy me.

2 comments:

Roopesh said...

Hi Ashwin, what I have seen in my childhood is that... adult sparrows typically abandon their young ones, if humans comes in too close range. For e.g. touching the young ones etc. You will find references to the human scent, but I don't think so that is the case.

Somehow they can pick a hand pick one and drop if off the nest while taking care of the other siblings. when it is weeks old, it is surely to difficult to feed them as well, as they respond to the adults sounds as they have all the three eyelids closed.

Its a challenge in short! The probability of seeing one pass to an adulthood is very less under human supervision (Full Time Job).

Cool! Let me know
Roopesh

krashwin said...

You are right Roopesh, which is why I did not touch the bird. I carefully picked it using paper.
When I was in school I had rescued a wounded adult sparrow. It stay with me for two weeks, a week even after it was cured. Then one day it flew off before I returned from school.